Taq polymerase patent (not)

Paul N Hengen pnh at kaylor.ncifcrf.gov
Tue Jul 16 11:34:41 EST 1996

Dr. Duncan Clark (duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk) wrote:

> Oh dear,  Roche have lost their European Patent Application for Taq
> polymerase (see Nature 11th July).

: This is not strictly true. Both the recombinant taq patent and the PCR
: process patent are granted in Europe. I don't see that much is going to
: change in the near future as virtually all enzyme sold is recombinant
: and through licensed companies. From an article in New Scientist I
: thought Roche had until October to respond. Only if it is abandoned then
: will it they have lost the native patent.

Then, in the mean time, can I isolate a huge batch of native Taq in
my Euro-subsidiary lab as long as I promise I won't use it for PCR? ;-)