about DNA recovery from agarose gel

Ke Wei victorke at acpub.duke.edu
Tue Jul 16 10:50:39 EST 1996

On 10 Jul 1996, Jin-seon Im wrote:

> Date: 10 JUL 1996 21:46:36 -0700
> From: Jin-seon Im <jim at U.ARIZONA.EDU>
> Newgroups: bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts
> Subject: about DNA recovery from agarose gel
>
> hello, there
>
> i have a quick (?) question
> i know there are several ways to recover DNA from agarose gel like
>  with glass beads
>       Qiagen
>       freeze squeeze methods
> and we can use low melting agarose gel

I usually cut the bands of interests out of low melting agarose gel,
dilute them in TE buffer upto 250 ul each, extract twice with phenol, and
then precipitein EtOH.  Sounds like low tech, but works for me all the
time.

> how do you think which one is better to recover the DNA from agarose gel?
> and you purify the DNA from pcr product with those methods,
> then, how about jsut EtOH precipitation of pcr product?

You don't just precipite the PCR products directly because of purity
concerns, especially when you are cloning genes.