Taq polymerase patent (not)

Dr. Duncan Clark duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 16 02:53:38 EST 1996

In article <31EA0AB3.1DE9 at dial.pipex.com>, Dr G R Taylor
<ai80 at dial.pipex.com> writes
>Oh dear,  Roche have lost their European Patent Application for Taq
>polymerase (see Nature 11th July).

This is not strictly true. Both the recombinant taq patent and the PCR
process patent are granted in Europe. I don't see that much is going to
change in the near future as virtually all enzyme sold is recombinant
and through licensed companies. From an article in New Scientist I
thought Roche had until October to respond. Only if it is abandoned then
will it they have lost the native patent.

Duncan