PROTEIN DEPLETED FOOD FOR MICE

Susan Jane Hogarth sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Jul 16 12:14:26 EST 1996

alena at scientia.up.ac.za wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We want to speed up the tuberculosis infection in our mice by malnutrition.
> Does anybody know what amino acids are the most essential ones in mice ? And
> does anybody know where we can purchase food lacking specific aminoacids or
> total protein depleted food ? Or if we should make it ourselves how can we do
> this ?

Here's what you do:

1) Carefully observe what the graduate students in your lab eat.

2) Feed the same things to the mice.

They may get fat, but, believe me, they'll be malnurished alright!
(also, it helps to keep them awake two nights out of every three...)

_That_ lifestyle will play havoc with their immune systems ;-0

--

Susan Jane Hogarth
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~sjhogart/public/home.html

Man: What is my purpose?