RNA extraction- Phase Lock

Patrick HJ Falckh p.falckh at rmit.edu.au
Wed Jul 17 19:53:21 EST 1996

I have no information on the composition of the gel (and I would think
you would be lucky to find out), however, I have used the PhaseLock gel
from 5' Prime 3' in association with the Chomczynski method for
extracting total RNA with varying success. More often-than-not there
would be good division of the organic and aqueous phases which allowed
the aqueous phase to be simlpy poured off rather than tedious pipetting.
However, on occassions some of the gel mix would have some of the
organic phase above it after the spin.  This has probably something to
do with the volume range that is added to the tubes (although there was
no literature on this when I got the gel), as well as the fact that the
gel MUST be at the bottom of the tube BEFORE adding your tissue
homogenate.
After the extractions the RNA remained stable (as much as it can) and I
did a large number of extractions (>100) using preprepared microfuge
tubes - at a cost.
I no longer use their gel, only as a means to keep the cost of
extractions down, however, I'm sure that if you approach them they would
give you a number of samples to trial (free I would hope).

Usual disclaimer and no association with the company.

Regards

Patrick
--

   Patrick HJ Falckh PhD                                 #     #
   Key Centre for Applied & Nutritional Toxicology      # # # # #