backgroound problems with Hybond N

J. David Spafford jspaffor at
Tue Jul 23 14:21:53 EST 1996

In Article <4t2aoi$d1u at>, gen159 at (David D Morgan)
>Has anybody experienced problems with excessive background with the new
>formulation of Hybond N from Amersham ?
>In our lab we've tried the new membrane a few times and each time got lots of
>"background noise" despite following the procedures in the accompanying
>Are there any tricks or improvememts in the standard protocol to reduce our
>background problems?
>Dave Morgan

Hmmm.  I actually get less background since they changed the formulation of
the Hybond N filters.  There may be a discrepancy due to different hyb
conditions.  I use the Church hybridization and wash buffers.

J. David Spafford,
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta
jspaffor at