Carbon 14 Assay Instrument

Rich Treinen rtreinen at arco.com
Wed Jul 24 12:41:39 EST 1996

I'm looking for sources of a C-14 assay often used with biological
samples.  I've used this technique 20 years ago, however, I can't
remember the equipment brand name.   The name Carboxysorb comes to
mind - however I've had no luck searching under this name.  The
technique involves a total oxidation of biologic tissue sample.  The
produced CO2 is trapped in a fluid and flushed into a scintilation
vial ready for counting.  The method worked well with liver tissue.
We identified the binding sites of metabolized carbontetrachloride.
The equipment I used then and am looking for now was automated.    A
weighed sample was placed in the oxidation chamber, a button was
pushed, all the carbon was burned to CO2 which was trapped in a fluid
ready for scintilation counting.  My current application of this
method is for tracer analysis of crude oil samples.  Direct
scintilation counting of crude oil does not work due to the opaqueness
of the crude oil.  Is anyone familar with the equipment used for this
assay?  I would appreciate some leads.
--

Richard Treinen
                       rtreinen at arco.com
            Arco Exploration & Production Technology
                          Plano, Texas