isolation of DNA from mouse tails
mcarb at pop.erols.com
Wed Jul 24 09:37:24 EST 1996
Dear John: Here is a protocol I have used successfully on thousands of
tails (PCR, Southern etc.).
Lysis solution: 200 mM NaCL, 20 mM EDTA, 40 mM Tris-HCL ph8, .5% SDS,.5%
Saturated NaCL (approximately 6 M): add solid NaCL to 5 M NaCl stock
1) make little incisions on tails and put in lysis solution with 200 ug/ml
2) Incubate o/n or shorter at 50 C.
3) After digestion add 0.5 vol saturated NaCl, mix carefully and stand on
ice at least 10 min.
4) Spin in tabletop centrifuge
5) transfer supernatant with wide bore plastic pipettes into clean tubes
and precipitate DNA with 2 vol of 100% EtOH.
6) Collect pellet, wash in 70% EtOH and dissolve in TE buffer pH 8.
More information about the Methods