gradient pcr?

Gottfried Dasen Dasen at agrl.ethz.ch
Fri Jul 26 01:42:01 EST 1996

In article <31F54A4D.1805 at opal.tufts.edu>, Brent Cochran <bcochran_ypr at opal.tufts.edu> says:

>We are considering buying a new PCR machine.  Does anyone have
>experience or thoughts on gradient pcr machines that allow the
>simutaneous testing of a range of temperatures.
>
>-Brent Cochran
>Tufts University

When I tested a gradient cycler (Strategenes Robocycler) I obtained good results and got a good impression
of the machine (best programming I've seen).

The problem with that machine is, that you can only do continuous steps of 1 or 2 degrees Celsius
 (e.g. from 44 to 58 deg. in 2 deg. increments).
Usually you will use this machine to optimize the annealing-temperatures of your primer-pairs, but if you
are not buying a lot of new primers, perhaps it would be easier to try to find your temperatures by calculating them.

Alternativly you may use a gradient cycler to run different protocols at the same time (if you've got the same
length to amplify) but then you are limited by the number of samples.