ERRATUM: PFGE to separate 20-50 kb

Andy Phillips andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri Jul 26 10:29:53 EST 1996

Chris Boyd wrote:

> Andrei Popov (andrei.popov at bbsrc.ac.uk) wrote:
> : Hello everybody,
> : recently there was a posting where it was asked how to separate
> : DNA fragments in the range of 20 to 50 kb.

...stuff deleted...

> Coincidentally, this very question is also addressed by Longo and
> Crouse in the latest Focus (Life Tech.) vol 18 no 1 pp 17-19. They
> devised a protocol _not_ requiring PFGE.  To summarise, for resolving
> fragments > 25 kb (and < 60 kb), they recommend unidirectional (i.e.,
> conventional) electrophoresis at 40 V for at least 22 h in 0.5% TAE
> agarose gels (buffer not recirculated) and stained post electrophoresis
> with ethidium bromide. I don't think the resolution is as good as
> Andrei is getting, but you can clearly distinguish 35 from 40 kb in
> their photos.
>
> Best wishes,
> --
> Chris Boyd                       | from, | MRC Human Genetics Unit
> chrisb at hgu.mrc.ac.uk             |  not  |  Western General Hospital
> http://www.hgu.mrc.ac.uk/~chrisb |   for |   Edinburgh EH4 2XU, SCOTLAND

When I worked on chloroplast DNA, long before the invention of PFGE, I resolved
fragments of 20-40kbp by a vary similar method to that described above: unidirectional
elctrophoresis in 0.5-0.6% agarose gels in TAE, run at 20-30V for 36 hrs at 4oC,
staining after electrophoresis. Worked very well.

Andy

 Email  : andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk  : University of Bristol
 Home   : andy at cycad.demon.co.uk     : IACR Long Ashton Research Station
 Phone  : +44-1275-549257            : Long Ashton
 Fax    : +44-1275-394281            : Bristol, BS18 9AF, UK
 WWW    : http://www.lars.bbsrc.ac.uk/plantsci/molbiol/andy.html