How to "normalize"

MELANSOND MELANSOND at am.abru.cg.com
Tue Jul 30 17:26:07 EST 1996

About a year ago I was under the impression that one could use the actin gene
as a standard for Northerns. However, it appears that actin is not expressed in
all tissues at all times at the same levels, so that there may be variations
across your lanes using this standard, which makes it hard to normalize.
Fortunately, I was recently informed that one could use a probe for the
ribosomal RNA to better provide accurate standards.  None of this may answer
your question. I had thought that the only use for these "standards" was to
provide a control for the loading amounts in the lanes.
Hope this helps