phenol stories

PROUET 100550.3012 at CompuServe.COM
Sat Jun 1 09:37:16 EST 1996

Hi all !

We experienced a few years ago that if DNA was mixed with low grade phenol
and even if you removed the phenol with several ethers or chloroforms....
The DNA was impossible to cut ! We solved this problem with using some
more expensive phenol.

We have now another problem. It seems that when you mix your DNA  (PCR
products of about 3 kb) with a new phenol (that is supposed to be
equilibrated in T.E.) you loose the DNA !!! It worked just fine for years
and now it looks like it could come from a new phenol batch. Did anybody
experienced such problems ? Or what is your idea about that ? All
suggestions are welcome ! (The first idea is that we will not use that
phenol any longer !!!).

Thank for your help.
Philippe

Philippe ROUET, PHD