Acrylamide Gel setting too quickly -- IDEAS??

Michelle Gleeson michelle at MOLECULE.BIO.UTS.EDU.AU
Sun Jun 2 17:48:14 EST 1996

On Sat, 1 Jun 1996, Brian MacNevin wrote:

> Well, when I mix up my acrylamide gel solution and begin pipetting it
> between the glass plates for electrophoresis, I have found that it
> starts to set before I can get it evenly dispersed in the plates.
> 	My first thought is that this might be due to the temp of the
> solution.  It seems to me that I don't have this problem if the
> solution is allowed to cool a little before adding the final solution.
> I was wonderin if anyone else has had these problems and if it really
> is due to the temp of the solution?
> 	Thanks!
> 		Brian
> 		macnevin at ix.netcom.com

Dear Brian,
Yes, it is definitely the temperature.  Acrylamide gels always take
longer to set on cold days.  Try chilling the acrylamide mix before adding the
TEMED and  APS until it feels cool to touch.  Also, don't use high heat to
dissolve the urea.  It will take a little longer but not nearly as long as
preparing a new set of plates!  Good luck,
Michelle
michelle.gleeson at uts.edu.au