T7 RNA polymerase termination signals?

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Tue Jun 4 00:06:19 EST 1996

Bottom line:  What are the sequences of phage polymerase
termination signals?

Yes, I am still trying to get good in vitro transcription of
a particular sequence for use in RNase protection analysis.
Basically I can only really use one region and this is next
to a T7 promoter so I am fiddling with the conditions.  The
transcript I get is mainly full length but the yield is awful.

I tried 15degC for 3 h.  It was worse then 37degC for 1 h.
I tried the Maslak & Martin buffer and this may have improved
things but the salt/detergent in the buffer screw up the gel
purification of the probe (I am working on this).
I tried beefing up the amount of enzyme or the amount of
limiting nucleotide (32P-CTP) but this didn't really help.
I have yet to try T4g32 protein or its equivalent.

In the back of the Ambion MAXIscript guide their is a vague
reference to accidental incorporation of phage RNA polymerase
termination signals in a template being a reason for poor
yield.  No information is given as to what these sequences
actually are.  I am wondering if I have blundered into
one of these at the T7 end of my transcript.
	Can some virally-enhanced person help a poor
toxicologist and give me a pointer to what a termination
signal for T7 polymerase (and SP6 and T3 if possible)
look like?  Much obliged for any pointers.

		Bernard

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.