Which bacterial species support pUC18/19 replication?

Karel Wernars Karel.Wernars at rivm.nl
Tue Jun 4 12:33:47 EST 1996

Dear netters,

A few days ago I was asked by a colleague if I had any information on
the hostrange of pUC18/19 plasmids. Can these replicate in bacteria
other then E. coli?. To my idea various enterobacteriaceae can support
replication e.g. Salmonella and Vibrio.

Digging through literature didn't help me much to confirm this, and I
only came across lots of reports on modifications of pUC18/19 to prepare
shuttle vectors that would replicate in a pacticular bacterial host of
interest.

Can anyone help me with this question and are there any studies
available on the host range of (unmodified) pUC18/19?.

Thanks,
Karel Wernars (Karel.Wernars at rivm.nl)