Minipreps for ABI sequencing

Michelle Gleeson michelle at MOLECULE.BIO.UTS.EDU.AU
Wed Jun 5 00:15:48 EST 1996

On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, J. David Spafford wrote:

> I have been using Qiagen minipreps for sequencing with good results.  PEG
> precipitation also works well.
>
> I have been offered to try a cheaper kit from PROMEGA, a Wizard miniprep kit
> specially designed for ABI sequencing quality DNA.  Has anyone have any luck
> with it?  How does it compare to Qiagen?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> J. David Spafford,
> Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta
> jspaffor at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca

Dear David,

A sequencing facility I used recommended an extra ethanol precipitation
step at the end of the column purification to remove salts.  This applied
to all column systems, including Wizards and Qiagens.  I used the standard
Wizard miniprep kit as I had it on hand, did the extra precipitation step,
and the sequence was great. The "new" kit may be nothing more than a
slight modification of the standard kit protocol, compare them and see.
Good luck,
Michelle
michelle.gleeson at uts.edu.au