Gedankenexperiment

Michael Benedik benedik at uh.edu
Tue Jun 4 10:29:13 EST 1996

In article <olflcuO00iWP44k2gT at andrew.cmu.edu>
"Sidney B. Cambridge" <sc6c+ at andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> This morning I started wondering how small a peptide can be expressed in
> a living organism ?  Has anyone ever attempted to express e.g. a 10
> amino acid peptide (without signal sequences or other things that could
> be cleaved off) ?
>
> Just curious
>
> sid

I don't really know what the lower limit is. But a few examples, the
heat stable enterotoxins are very very small (less than 20 amino acids,
can't remember how short) but I think they may be cleaved from larger
products. You would need to check how long. The lacZ alpha peptide from
pUC is short, but not as short as 10.

Michael Benedik
Department of Biochemical Sciences
University of Houston