T7 RNA pol termination signals? - SUMMARY

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Fri Jun 7 00:46:48 EST 1996

In article <1996Jun4.050619.20308 at alw.nih.gov>, bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
says...

>Bottom line:  What are the sequences of phage polymerase
>termination signals?
>[Story of problems with in vitro transcription deleted]

Just in case anyone was curious as to the answer...
I received two very helpful e-mail replies to my request.

Nick Theodorakis (ntheo at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu) pointed
me to the work of MJ Chamberlin (UC Berkeley) as a good
entry to phage termination signals.  It would appear that
the concensus is a hairpin loop followed by a run of U's.

Nathan O. Siemers (siemers at bms.com) pointed me to Novagen's
pET vectors as a source of a typical T7 termination
sequence.  Indeed this 43 bp sequence is predicted to form
a very stable (eg. dG = -19.6 kcal) hairpin loop (at least
7 pairs in the stem - more if G~U pairing is permitted) and
trails off to a run of 6 U's.

...and my template for transcription?
I found a loop with a 5 bp stem and a stability of -1.8 kcal
followed by a run of 5 U's.  Enough to make me feel at least
a little suspicious (I do get *some* product).  Hopefully I
can trim down the template and boost production.
	Thank you very much for your help,
		Bernard

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.
"He's like an idiot savant -- minus the savant." -Crow T. Robot, MST3k
			(The Skydivers)