Mutation rate study

Hans Stenoien hans.stenoien at vm.unit.no
Wed Jun 5 10:23:13 EST 1996

Hello everybody:

If I was to estimate the mutation rate in a specific DNA fragment in
an organism, can anybody tell me where I should look for information
regarding methodology for that kind of study? I have for instance
briefly heard about the so-called denaturing gel electrophoresis
system, where I'm told that you can detect single-base mutations in
identified genes without spending years in the lab. But does this
method require that you know where in the fragment one should expect
the mutation to occur? I hope all you geneticists out there excuse my
lack of knowledge regarding DNA methods, and I would appreciate any
comments on this subject.

Thanks in advance.

Hans Stenöien
Norwegian University of Technology and Science