Northerns - nitrocellulose or nylon ??

ritaud at rsvs.ulaval.ca ritaud at rsvs.ulaval.ca
Thu Jun 6 15:12:54 EST 1996

On Mon, 27 May 1996 09:56:02 +1000, Patrick HJ Falckh

>Hi Netters,
>
>There has been a number of postings to this group over the last year
>regarding membranes and northerns (although not simultaneously) and I
>was wondering what the general stance was on the prefered membrane for
>northerns - nitrocellulose or nylon.
>I would appreciate any comments on the subject, or your individual
>suggestions.

I've used nylon membranes (Amersham Hybond-N) for all the Northern
blots I've done so far and it works great. I have nothing to say
against using them, but I can't compare with nitrocellulose since I
haven't used it...

Jean-Francois Larrivee
Ph.D. Student in  Molecular Pharmacology
Centre de Recherche de l'Hotel-Dieu de Quebec
Universite Laval
e-mail: jfl at rsvs.ulaval.ca
           jfl at zone.ca