pCDNA3 Cloning Difficulties

Paul Edward Kowalski kowalski at unixg.ubc.ca
Fri Jun 7 14:20:01 EST 1996

Regarding the occaisional "unclonability" of repetitive sequences in
pCDNA3...
Very similar story : I'm using a 2.4 kb cDNA with about 400bp of sequence
at the 5' end from a HERV-H element (a human endogenous retrovirus), and
for the life of me, I couldn't get a simple EcoRI ligation into pCDNA3 to
work! The same cDNA with the HERV sequences removed worked fine. I was
using DH5a. Then I had the bright idea to transform the ligations into a
different host strain- I used XL2-Blue and STBL2. Both worked, lo and
behold, but by far the greater efficiency was using the XL2's. So the
take home message- avoid DH5a when using pCDNA and repetitive sequences!

Paul Kowalski
Terry Fox Lab, BC Cancer Agency
Medical Genetics, UBC