ExoIII-Why not ApaI?

Markus Piotrowski Markus.Piotrowski at rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Jun 8 21:38:43 EST 1996

Hi netters,

somewhere I read, that some restriction enzymes -although leaving a 4
base 3' protusion - can't be used to protect DNA in an ExoIII-digestion.
Fortunately I read this after using such an enzyme, ApaI, and I found
that it worked well in my case.
The only problem was the complete removal of some bases (from the
ApaI-site to the first base of the KpnI-site in pBs SK+) on the
'protected' end.
Is this the reason why these enzymes shouldn't be used or why are they
not recommended?

Greetings, Markus