Research Genetics MapPairs PCR primers

juleen.cavanaugh at juleen.cavanaugh at
Tue Jun 11 23:12:15 EST 1996

In <wolffie-1006961029300001 at>, wolffie at (john wolff) writes:
>We frequently get "dud" MapPairs primer sets from Research Genetics.
>We use a lot of different markers and we spend a lot of time trying to
>optimize conditions to coax the "duds" into working, with spotty success.
>My question:  is the problem with the RG MapPairs, or am I just too plain
>stupid to use them??
>When I get a dud, I try varying the Mg++, the annealing temp, and
>sometimes try 10% glycerol.  We use an MJ cycler PCT-100 with a 92C
>melting temp.  Mostly these are Weissenbach primers, whose conditions may
>never have been too carefully optimized to begin with.  Often, I give up.
I also spend time optimizing the mappairs -its worth it, but check out the
optimization listing on GDB - we have had some Res Genetics primers that
wouldnt give the correct size product no matter what we did - then checked
GDB and that  amplification required weird (I mean weird!!!!) conditions - presto
- correct product!  Other mappairs are definitely dud.

Juleen Cavanaugh