Acrylamide Gel setting too quickly -- IDEAS??

martin LEACH leach at
Tue Jun 11 18:27:15 EST 1996

When I learned how to pour acryl was a very hot summer in the
UK.....took a couple of tries cuz of the problem you are having.....I now keep my acryl/urea/tbe gel mix at 4C and pour when needed.....never
have had the quick-set problem since....

Brian MacNevin (macnevin at wrote:
: Well, when I mix up my acrylamide gel solution and begin pipetting it
: between the glass plates for electrophoresis, I have found that it
: starts to set before I can get it evenly dispersed in the plates.
: 	My first thought is that this might be due to the temp of the
: solution.  It seems to me that I don't have this problem if the
: solution is allowed to cool a little before adding the final solution.
: I was wonderin if anyone else has had these problems and if it really
: is due to the temp of the solution?
: 	Thanks!
: 		Brian
: 		macnevin at

.....          Martin Leach                Email:leach at
 _/  |-/__==/  80 E. Concord St. (L603)

My homepage:
Biotech company WWW REgistry has moved to:
Check out the Biotech Rumor mill: