PCR-What is in my reaction?

Perry J. Bushong pjb6578 at ACS.TAMU.EDU
Tue Jun 11 11:51:51 EST 1996

I'm just trying to figure out what is in my PCR
reaction.  After amplification, I always find a
stringy, snotty-looking mess in the bottom of all of
my tubes.  I put some under the light microscope and
at 400X it appeared as a thin clear ribon.  It
doesn't seem to interfere with my reaction, but it
tends to clog up my pipette tips when I'm loading my
gels.  My PCR protocol includes: BSA, template,
primers, MgCl, water, buffer, dNTPs, Taq, and I add
some Cresol Red dye to for visibility.  I do not use
any mineral oil because my tubes have caps.  I guess
the ribbon might be a product of the BSA or the
Cresol Red.
Does anyone have any ideas on what this stuff is, or
how to easily get rid of it?
Thanks.
Perry