CASTING METAPHOR AGAROSE GELS

Perry J. Bushong pjb6578 at ACS.TAMU.EDU
Tue Jun 11 10:55:18 EST 1996

I have had a difficult time trying to get consistent
results running microsatellites on 4% Metaphor
agarose gel.  The gels always run crooked.  One side
of my 34 lane, 3mm gel always runs faster than the
other.  Yet there is no pattern to it; sometimes the
left side runs faster, sometimes the right, and
sometimes the middle.  I thought the problem was due
to an unlevel casting tray, but I always use a
leveler to make sure.  I then thought maybe my
agarose was hardening before it spread out so I tried
submerging the Bio-rad casting tray under warm water
(about 65degC) the same temp as the agarose being
poured. I even tried using a 3% gel but got the same
results. I have never had so much trouble casting a
gel before.
Does anyone out know any tricks to casting Metaphor
gels consistently?  Thanks.
Perry