Glutathion in Bacterial Media

corboy at utdallas.edu corboy at utdallas.edu
Wed Jun 12 12:27:17 EST 1996

Seeking knowledge of the effects of glutathion in bacterial media.  The
purpose is analagous to adding 2-ME or DTT to solutions when purifying a
protein by standard methods.  My protein is secreted into the medium, and
I am trying to maximize the availability of a single free Cysteine SH
group by protecting it (anti-oxidant).  To my knowledge, you cannot use
2-ME or DTT in culture because they are membrane permeable and toxic.  As
far as I know, glutathion is not membrane permeable, but can be imported
by bacteria.  What I want to know is how much glutathion can I add to
bacteria growing in liquid culture to provide SH protection, but not
affect growth or reduce existing disulfide bonds, like you would use 2-ME
for in purification. Thanks in advance for any help I may get.

Mike Corboy
University of Texas at Dallas