sequencing gel won't stick to Whatman paper

jlight at SICKKIDS.ON.CA jlight at SICKKIDS.ON.CA
Wed Jun 12 19:33:29 EST 1996

After I run a sequencing gel (using 35S-dATP for labelling) I have a lot of
problems getting the gel to stick to Whatman paper.  I don't fix the gel
after the run, because I've found that it's not necessary to get good
autorads.  Unfortunately, and perhaps because I skip the fixing step, my
gels don't always stick when I overlay them with Whatman paper (sometimes
they do, sometimes they don't).  I've tried spraying the gel with water and
blotting off the excess with Kim wipes prior overlaying with Whatman, which
helps sometimes, but it's no guarantee.  Sometimes part of the gel sticks
and part doesn't, so the gel ends up ripping.  Advice from anyone who
routinely transfers their gels without fixing would be greatly appreciated.