sequencing gel won't stick to Whatman paper

Volker Knoop volker.knoop at
Thu Jun 13 04:21:46 EST 1996

In article <v01530500ade51e3a6d3d@[]>, jlight at SICKKIDS.ON.CA wrote:

> After I run a sequencing gel (using 35S-dATP for labelling) I have a lot of
> problems getting the gel to stick to Whatman paper.  I don't fix the gel
> after the run, because I've found that it's not necessary to get good
> autorads.  Unfortunately, and perhaps because I skip the fixing step, my
> gels don't always stick when I overlay them with Whatman paper (sometimes
> they do, sometimes they don't).  I've tried spraying the gel with water and
> blotting off the excess with Kim wipes prior overlaying with Whatman, which
> helps sometimes, but it's no guarantee.  Sometimes part of the gel sticks
> and part doesn't, so the gel ends up ripping.  Advice from anyone who
> routinely transfers their gels without fixing would be greatly appreciated.

We routinely transfer our sequencing gels from the glass plates of a
BioRad chamber to variable sorts of 3MM - like paper without any fixing of
the gel but have no problems of the kind you describe. However, you have
to coat the glass plates with REPEL.

Volker Knoop (volker.knoop at
Allgemeine Botanik, Universitaet Ulm, D-89069 Ulm, Germany
phone +49-731-502-2615 fax -2626