sequencing gel won't stick to Whatman paper

Volker Knoop volker.knoop at biologie.uni-ulm.de
Thu Jun 13 04:21:46 EST 1996

In article <v01530500ade51e3a6d3d@[142.20.8.21]>, jlight at SICKKIDS.ON.CA wrote:

> After I run a sequencing gel (using 35S-dATP for labelling) I have a lot of
> problems getting the gel to stick to Whatman paper.  I don't fix the gel
> after the run, because I've found that it's not necessary to get good
> autorads.  Unfortunately, and perhaps because I skip the fixing step, my
> gels don't always stick when I overlay them with Whatman paper (sometimes
> they do, sometimes they don't).  I've tried spraying the gel with water and
> blotting off the excess with Kim wipes prior overlaying with Whatman, which
> helps sometimes, but it's no guarantee.  Sometimes part of the gel sticks
> and part doesn't, so the gel ends up ripping.  Advice from anyone who
> routinely transfers their gels without fixing would be greatly appreciated.

We routinely transfer our sequencing gels from the glass plates of a
BioRad chamber to variable sorts of 3MM - like paper without any fixing of
the gel but have no problems of the kind you describe. However, you have
to coat the glass plates with REPEL.

--
Volker Knoop (volker.knoop at biologie.uni-ulm.de)
Allgemeine Botanik, Universitaet Ulm, D-89069 Ulm, Germany