Can I pre-stain Prot markers for W. Blot?

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Thu Jun 13 15:38:22 EST 1996

In article <whoever-1306961429590001 at gaskins.animal.uiuc.edu>,
Dave <whoever at wherever.here> wrote:

>I mistakenly purchased non-stained protein markers from Fisher for use in
>Western blots.  Is there any way I can pre-stain them myself, and still
>get good transfer to a nitrocellulose membrane?

First, if you want replies, you should probably change your e-mail address
to a valid one.  Second, in your position I wouldn't bother trying to
pre-stain your markers; transfer to unstained markers and then stain your
NC with india ink, exactly as described in Harlowe's antibody manual
(from Cold Spring Harbor Press, I hear a new version is coming out
soon).  The non-stained markers will almost certainly run more accurately
and tighter than do the prestained ones, and the time and effort in india
ink staining are trivial; you can also use much less marker.

There's really very little advantage to using prestained marker in
Westerns over the india ink staining.

Ian