sequencing gel won't stick to Whatman paper

Amy Fluet afluet at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu
Fri Jun 14 11:07:08 EST 1996

Hi,
I don't fix my sequencing gels either, and generally don't have a problem
getting them to stick to the whatman paper.  Before I pour the gel, I
give both plates a light coating with Sigmacote, followed by a good scrub
with EtOH.  After the gel has run, I pry the plates apart and lay the
Whatman's on top of the gel, pressing firmly to get it to stick.  I then
flip the whole gel 'sandwich over so the Whatmans is on the bench with
the gel and finally the plate, above it.  I then slide the sandwich
towards me, letting the paper (and the gel) fall away from the plate as
they come off the edge of the bench (hope this is clear).  I find going
slowly and letting gravity pull the gel down does the trick.
I hope this helps.

Amy Fluet