sequencing gel won't stick to Whatman paper

Claudia Sutton cas9 at cornell.edu
Fri Jun 14 03:16:08 EST 1996

In article <v01530500ade51e3a6d3d@[142.20.8.21]>, jlight at SICKKIDS.ON.CA wrote:

> After I run a sequencing gel (using 35S-dATP for labelling) I have a lot of
> problems getting the gel to stick to Whatman paper.  I don't fix the gel
> after the run, because I've found that it's not necessary to get good
> autorads.  Unfortunately, and perhaps because I skip the fixing step, my
> gels don't always stick when I overlay them with Whatman paper (sometimes
> they do, sometimes they don't).  I've tried spraying the gel with water and
> blotting off the excess with Kim wipes prior overlaying with Whatman, which
> helps sometimes, but it's no guarantee.  Sometimes part of the gel sticks
> and part doesn't, so the gel ends up ripping.  Advice from anyone who
> routinely transfers their gels without fixing would be greatly appreciated.

I have been routinely transferring 8% gels to whatman 3MM Chro, but have
had the problem you describe when someone put some BLOTTING paper in the
same stack.  No way would it stick to a lower grade paper.  So check to
make sure that the paper really is whatman 3MM Chro.  Also, the faster you
get the paper on the gel after the top plate is removed, the better.  Good
luck.

Claudia
aka cas9 at cornell.edu