Can I pre-stain Prot markers for W. Blot?

D. KIM dkim at nmsu.edu
Fri Jun 14 23:20:12 EST 1996

In article <whoever-1306961429590001 at gaskins.animal.uiuc.edu> whoever at wherever.here (Dave) writes:
>Hello,
>
>I mistakenly purchased non-stained protein markers from Fisher for use in
>Western blots.  Is there any way I can pre-stain them myself, and still
>get good transfer to a nitrocellulose membrane?
>
>Thanks,
>         Dave.

I routinely use unstained markers for my Westerns.  I transfer and then
stain with Ponceau S stain (Procedure is in THE RED BOOK).  I then mark
the bands with a pencil and destain (with water).  Following this, I
block and proceed as usual.  This stain is very simple to apply and comes
off completely in a few minutes.

Daniel Kim
dkim at nmsu.edu