HELP ! get DNA (< 500bp) out of gel

Hong Lin ez026048 at rocky.ucdavis.edu
Sat Jun 15 03:18:58 EST 1996

I had problem of isolating small DNA fragments from gel. I had tried
promega "Wizard" DNA purification system and Bio 101 Geneclean product.
Both did not end up satisfied result. I have no problem, however, in
isolating longer DNA fragment (eg >1000 bp) using the same methods above.
I did slightly modify the procedure; for example, add 5 ul of 10% of
acetic acid for each ml of NaI in Bio-101 geneclean kit, or incubation
DNA samples before elute it out. I guess, I can only get less than 20 %
of recovery from gel.
Can anyone provide any information or advice for eluting small bp DNA out of
gel with satisfied recovery. Or other alternative methods (I had tried
dialysis method too). Thanks in advance