BetaGal... Counting cells?? Suggestions ?

popa0206 at PO-BOX.MCGILL.CA popa0206 at PO-BOX.MCGILL.CA
Sat Jun 15 14:35:17 EST 1996

I am trying to quantitate numbers of cells that pick up beta-gal in
a transfection experiment.  I have tried to count groups of cells after
fixing and staining but I want better statistics... The numbers I am
counting could be potentially quite small (perhaps 1 in 10,000 to 100,000 ).

Does anyone know of a company that cells petri dishes with gridlines
(smaller than the standard 1 cm X 1 cm phage plates) for counting cells
accurately?

If not, how the hell are people counting there cells?  I know you can
just make extracts of plates of cells and look at absorbance for instance
but that won`t help me.  Also I know about facs sorting but that is a little
expensive for preliminary studies...

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

G. Dellaire

dellaire at odyssee.net