cDNA sequence differences

Chi-Kuang Wen cwen at aux.btny.purdue.edu
Sun Jun 16 13:35:38 EST 1996

In article <3DDM9R$wn2 at bbs.life.nthu.edu.tw>, klebs.bbs at bbs.life.nthu.edu.tw (Leo) wrote:

> My questions are:
>  1. Is it possible that the Stratagene cDNA library is not human origin ?
You have to check with Stratagene.
>  2. Did anyone has a similar experience ?
>  3. How reliable are the commercial cDNA libraries (in terms of
>     their source) ? For an example, I have heard a laboratory has
>     isolated a bacterial gene from a human cDNA library.
If the source was contaminated with mRNA/DNA from other origins, it's possible
to have this result.  For example, if the tRNA used for cDNA ppt contains
yeast DNA, you might be able to get yeast clone, and it really happened
before in another bio-company.
>  4. How different should I expect to see when comparing cDNA sequences
>     of a housekeeping enzyme derived from two different individuals
>     (of two different races) ?
If your cDNA comes from another organism, you should be able to find it by
homology comparison.  I do not understand the "race" you asked.

Chi-Kuang Wen
Botany & Plant Pathology
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN 47907