Dot-blot automation

John Brennand john.brennand at
Mon Jun 17 08:55:57 EST 1996

A few ramblings on this topic.

Yes things have moved on significantly over the last few years - it
depends how sophisticated you want to be and how much you are
prepared to spend.

Companies like Synteni can dot blot 20,000 spots on an array about 1
cm square - using high density arraying equipment (see Science, vol
270, p467, & references therein)  but this will be expensive.

Conventional robots eg Tecan, can spot small volumes 1-5 ul in
arrays corresponding to the 96 well format ( or 384 well format)

Cheaper plate washers can be adapted to this end - possibly coupled
to filter plates - 96 well plates with a "peel off" membrane of your
choice.  We've not used these but in theory you could spot,
hybridise, wash, etc all in the well then peel it off and quantitate
on a Top Counter, or put against film.

Disposable plastic 96 (and 384) replicators are available that can
be used in a dip & spot approach although these are clearly less
accurate but very cheap.

So - you pay your money and take your choice.  I think you need to
discuss your specific needs with the reps of the companies that
supply this sort of equipment.

Hope this helps