Question about gel shift assay

SAI-Jinling Xie xiej at IRCM.UMontreal.CA
Mon Jun 17 20:51:22 EST 1996

Hi, there,

     We've been doing gel shift assay. But we always got non-specific
shifted band. We used more than 220bp PCR products as probes and crude
cell extract from E.coli for shifting. A company recommends very short
probes. I wonder if our probes are not short enough or some reasons else.
And does impurity of the protein cause this problem? Do I have to purify the
protein? If somebody happens to have the similar experience, would you
please reply to this account? I would highly appreicite it. Thanks a lot
in advance.

Jinling Xie