repetitive dna

Chris Boyd chrisb at hgu.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Jun 12 11:11:10 EST 1996

Hans Dauwerse (dauw at ruly46.medfac.leidenuniv.nl) wrote:
: You could try strains as DH10b or DH5alphamcrSBCc, which...
                                            ^^^^^^^
                [I assume you mean  DH5alphamcrBC (Gibco Cat no. 18307-017)]

: ... should propagate plasmids with instable inserts.

No. These strains are likely to be no better than any other recA-
strains for tandem repeat instability, and certainly no better than
Sure.

: Maybe yuo
: could consider to use a low copy plasmid.

A better idea, but still not _certain_ to resolve tandem repeat
instability.  I don't know of _any_ strain where this problem has been
fully eradicated.  There will always be sequences that cannot be cloned
stably in E. coli.  It's a corollary of Godel's Theorem.

Best wishes,
--
Chris Boyd                       | from, | MRC Human Genetics Unit
chrisb at hgu.mrc.ac.uk             |  not  |  Western General Hospital