Please, help with RNA extraction.

Thibaud Le Mouel lemouel at antibes.inra.fr
Tue Jun 18 02:39:35 EST 1996

>I have problems when I try to isolate total RNA from mouse liver or brain by
>Chomczynsky method, because the two phases I should obtain after adding
>phenol and chloroform doesn't separate during centrifugation. This
>difficults the extraction and makes the efficiency to be very low.Does
>anybody know why this happens and how to avoid? Is this method good enough
>to extract RNA from those tissues?
>
>I would appreciate your comments a lot.
>Thank you,
>
>Maria
>
>melia at ar.vhebron.es

Hi,

I think there is too much lipids in the liver and perhaps you put too much
liver for your extraction. We use only 1 mg of liver for 5 ml of extraction
buffer and  we make 2 phenol/chloroform because of lipids

Hope that can help you.

******** **       **     ** * Th. Le Mouel  <lemouel at antibes.inra.fr.>  *
   **    **       **** **** * 123, bld F. Meilland   B.P. 2078          *
   **    ******** ** *** ** * 06606 ANTIBES CEDEX    FRANCE             *