epitope tagging in plants

Alfredo Lopez De Leon Allopezdeleon at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jun 19 05:39:42 EST 1996

STLUND at GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU wrote:

>  I have in hand the T7 gene 10 tag (from Novagen) and am debating if I
> should try this epitope tag with no a priori knowledge of whether it
> has potential for working (someone has to stick their neck out...);

	Stlund:

	The first step in developing a succesful tagged protein is to have an
antibody against the TAG that has "No" or "very Low" background in your
system i.e. Tomato. You may have to buy the antibody and test it on a
Western.

	The second point is that the TAG should be accesible to the antibody
once the tagged protein has been produced (Assuming native folding and
cellular localization).  As you can imagine there is no way to predict
this. Therefore you have to do the experiment.

Greetings.

Alfredo