Difficulties with PCR of alfa-globin gene!

Nuno Miguel Ferrand nmferran at fc1.fc.up.pt
Thu Jun 20 02:55:25 EST 1996

Dear All

I have been trying to amplify, by means of PCR, the HBA gene of the rabbit
in order to investigate its genetic polymorphism at the DNA level. However,
I've been completely unsuccessful, even after using several different couples
of primers and different PCR conditions (changing of MgCl2, Taq and primer
concentrations, use of DMSO, etc.).
This is a moderately G-C rich region (around 65%), which is probably
contributing for these difficulties.
I'll be very grateful if someone can give me some help on this!
Thanks!

Nuno Ferrand
nmferran at fc.up.pt