staining of living cells

Fritz Schwarzmann Fritz.Schwarzmann at klinik.uni-regensburg.de
Fri Jun 21 10:37:47 EST 1996

Dear Net-Users!

I would be grateful to everyone who can give me a hint or send me a
protocol how to stain living and unfixed eucaryotic (lymphoid B-) cells for
expression of beta-galactosidase (as a marker for a recombinant
plasmid). The cells shall be used further for cloning of a cell line.
The staining protocol I used so far gave only a very faint blue
colour and most of the transfected cells could not be detected by
microscopy. (I used Bluogal from GIBCO; stock solution Bluogal in 20%
DMF was diluted to a final concentration of 150  g/ml in the culture
medium (RPMI 1640) and incubated at 37 C for up to 5 days. Does
anyone know a better protocol?)

Thank you very much in anticipation!

Fritz

Fritz Schwarzmann, Ph.D.
Institut fuer Medizinische Mikrobiologie und Hygiene
Universitaet Regensburg
Franz-Josef-Strauss-Allee 11
D-93053 Regensburg
Germany