Why are concentrated enzymes more stable?

Dima Klenchin klenchin at macc.wisc.edu
Fri Jun 21 09:49:22 EST 1996

In article <aquilla.1185604211N at emba-news.emba.uvm.edu>,
   aquilla at salus.med.uvm.edu (Tracy Aquilla) wrote:
->Anyone care to guess or have a reference?

I was always wondering about that and never could find
a reasonable explanation. My naive hypothesis:

when protein is "breathing", with some probability
it's tertuary structure can adopt "wrong" conformation that is
largely irreversible. When there are many similarly large
molecules around many weak interaction and simple "hits" of one
with another, restrain those "too global" random conformational
changes that lead to inactivation.

If you find the answer, please post.

- Dima