thawing & plating cell lines

Lesley Weston lesley at UNIXG.UBC.CA
Fri Jun 21 19:20:12 EST 1996

Another possible answer is to use 10% gycerine instead of DMSO in your
freezing mix. Then you don't need to spin the cells to remove it,
provided it's diluted in fresh medium when you plate. The speed of
thawing seems to be at least as important as the speed of freezing; I put
the vial straight from the liquid nitrogen into a beaker of water at
about 37 C, and then pipette the cells into warm medium as soon as they
are thawed. Hope this helps.
Lesley.