RT-PCR-Multiple bands-unusual problem

Paul Mozdziak pemozdzi at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 25 06:47:26 EST 1996

I'm doing some RT-PCR to see if a particular factor is expressed in
muscle. First I am using previously published primers. Second my
positive control is a small amount of a cDNA probe for my factor of
interest. The probe samples amplify beautifully. However, when I run
my rt-pcr stuff from muscle out on a 3% gel (sigma agarose (50-1000
bp) I get two bands (one at 150 bp--what I should get and one a few base
pairs smaller)--they just barely resolve. I ran these samples out
shortly after I finished the pcr.

Any ideas to explain my problem and too solve it?

My RNA was not DNAsed--and it's just total RNA. There was alot of RNA at
the beginning of the procedure in my muscle samples ~1 microgram.

Thanks much

Paul