Did airport security destroy my DNA?

Cathy Sprankle Sprankle at ciit.org
Mon Jun 24 21:38:22 EST 1996

Hi, netters,

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has firsthand experience of the
effect of running a solution of genomic DNA in TE through the X-ray
machine at the airport.  I prepared DNA from a animal containing a phage
transgene at a workshop.  The DNA packaged pretty well at the workshop,
but when I brought it home, I only got about 25% as many plaques.  As I am
struggling with the assay, I'm wondering whether my DNA just got torn to
pieces by the X-ray machine or whether its failure to package is a symptom
of a larger problem I'm having here.  Please e-mail replies,

Thanks,
Cathy

--
Catherine Sprankle
CIIT
e-mail:  sprankle at ciit.org
Opinions expressed (such as they are!) are strictly mine and do
not reflect those of CIIT.