DNA-Elution from gel

Richard Pelletier rpelle1 at po-box.mcgill.ca
Wed Jun 26 17:40:47 EST 1996

In article <31CB8517.1B7C at rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>, Oliver Berkowitz
<oliver.berkowitz at rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I´m searching for a fast and easy way of getting my DNA-fragments (about
> 1 kb) out of agarose-gels. At present I cut the bands out and spin the
> agarose-block on a Whatman-filter in a Eppendorf-tube. The effeciency is
> very poor. Is there anybody with a good technique ???
> Thanks for helping me, bye.

I tried recently the micropure (plus gel nubilizer) and microcon devices
from Amicon to recover DNA fragments from agarose gels and they work fine.
You can also concentrate and desalt the DNA at the same time. The
efficiency is around 50%. Another way is to use isotachophoresis, which
gives close to 100% recovery, but is more time consuming and finnicky to
set up.

--
Richard Pelletier
Experimental Medicine