Chromosomal localisation

DOCON at ollamh.ucd.ie DOCON at ollamh.ucd.ie
Wed Jun 26 07:27:46 EST 1996

I'm attempting to chromosomally locate a gene of interest using
metaphase spreads and flourescent in situ hybridisation conditions
that have so far worked for a control which is a centromeric probe
for chromosome 1. The problem is that my probe consists merely of the
gene sequence ie,2Kb of sequence. This is very small when one
considers that most of the localisation work involves the use of
bacs, yacs, cosmids and P1 plasmids. I would be very interested to
hear of any protocol or experience that those of you have had with
such small probes or of an alternative route that I can follow
considering that I don't have the aforementioned tools available to
me. Any suggestions greatly appreciated to-docon at ollamh.ucd.ie

David O'Connell,
NAVBC,University College Dublin,
Dublin 4, Ireland.