Begining with Baculovirus

Josh Goldstein josh at
Thu Jun 27 10:49:55 EST 1996

In article <4qbh2q$aie at>, mlush at (Mr.
M.J. Lush) wrote:

> In article <jpl-180696150831 at>, jpl at <jpl at>
> >
> >       Hi! I will soon try to express the cDNA coding for my protein in a
> >Baculovirus expression system. There are several kits and several vectors
>         The girl on the next bench is working with Baculovirus...
> the main problem turned out to be that you need to use a cell line
> with a low passarge (Sp?) number.   This fact was not mentioned
> in any of the protocols and only transpired from conversation
> with the tech support (eventually!).
> --
> Michael

   Actually, we've been using baculovirus expression for a while, and tech
support told us that for Sf9 cells, they have been through at least 100
passages before they even send them out, and that passage number is not
really such a big deal.

Josh Goldstein
josh at
5th yr MD/PhD student